The Lighting / Look Development Artist needs to ensure that there is a consistency in lighting, colour balance and mood between the various elements of a shot or scene. They generate CG that looks photorealistic, and which seamlessly matches the live action, by adding lighting which creates atmosphere, tone and depth to a scene.
- Strong sense of light and shadow demonstrated by a portfolio of artwork, photography, theatre, film and/or CG work
- Good knowledge of colour theory, including thorough knowledge of art history
- Able to follow design references and have sympathy with a wide range of styles
- Be able to light characters and environments, interiors and exteriors according to various conditions
- A strong understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood through the use of lighting
- A good working knowledge of computer animation packages (especially Maya), 2D paint software, and rending programmes (Arnold)
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Able to take direction and address constructive feedback
- Able to deliver on schedule, working calmly and efficiently under pressure while adhering to the procedure and requirements of a particular studio, production or pipeline.
What can we offer?
VHQ offers a positive, creative environment where the leading effects artists are encouraged and supported to develop and produce challenging, cutting-edge work. We work as a collective, where excellence, expertise and expression are valued by all; where we collaborate with some of the world’s leading creative thinkers and produce work to which we are proud to put our name. If you want to be part of the VHQ story, please submit your application as an online submission via this website. If your candidacy is successful, you will be contacted shortly. If your application is not retained for this position, it will stay on file for future opportunities.
Please note that you must be able to provide a demo reel that illustrates your relevant artistic and technical experience that also includes the nuances for this specific role.